So a disappointing penultimate round of fixtures three correct results out of six. The footballing gods were throwing a curve ball and Southampton seem to have made the great escape as they beat Swansea. That was one of my correct results predicted. Man City provided the other, although somewhat predictably.
Sunday afternoon sees the Premier League reach the final hurrah, we finally reach the final round of games and Premier League predictions. There is not too much left to play for. The title is won, Man Utd need at least a point to secure second, Tottenham have qualified for next seasons Champions League. That just leaves the final Champions League spot to play for. Liverpool currently hold fourth spot after Spurs win and Chelsea’s surprise draw. Liverpool know that a point at home to Brighton will be enough should Chelsea win. This though due to Liverpool’s significantly better goal difference. I can’t imagine Liverpool losing at Anfield home on their final home game of the season. Chelsea will need to go to Newcastle and win, which given any other season wouldn’t be in doubt, but this season the London club has been all over the place.
At the other end it’s seemingly a formality. Swansea host Stoke City whilst Southampton host Man City. Only a heavy mauling by Man City in Southampton and a heavy win by Swansea over Stoke City would see the south coast club doomed to the Championship. Depending on results, the Swans could even finish bottom but again that depends on Stoke being able to win 4-0, which would seem a tall feat.
So for the final time, my predictions for the last round of Premier League. I will though be looking back through the whole season to see how well or not so well my predictions turned out.
- Burnley. 2-1 Bournemouth Hosts end fab season with a win
- Crystal Palace. 1-1 West Brom. Point each in nothing game
- Huddersfield. 1-3. Arsenal. Wenger signs out with a win
- Liverpool. 3-0. Brighton. Reds win and seal CL spot
- Man Utd. 1-1. Watford. Hornets take point at Man Utd
- Newcastle. Utd. 1-1. Chelsea. Chelsea blow CL hopes
- Southampton. 1-2. Man City. Saints lose but stay up
- Swansea City. 2-0 Stoke City. Swans win but go down
- Tottenham. 2-1 Leicester City. Spurs end with Wembley win
- West Ham. 2-1 Everton. Hammers end season with win
So the Premier League curtain comes down for another season, Liverpool give their fans a sense of relief as they get vital win to secure Champions League for next season. Can they add the trophy itself. Chelsea finish with a draw that costs them a Champions League place and will it cost Conte his job.
Man Utd end their league season with a drab draw although Watford, their opponents will miss out on a top ten spot.