As the weeks pass and the games wither down, the the only thing that many of the fans have to look forward to is finishing as high as possible or avoiding the drop. The Premier League title race is all but over unless Man City do the best footballing equivalent of Devon Loch. For the non horse racing fans or any international readers, Devon Loch was horse that was destined to win the 1956 Grand National, but lost after he jumped for no apparent reason.
At course at the other end in the grand battle for survival. At the moment seven points separate Brighton in14th and Stoke in 19th but to be honest it would you would be very surprised to see the Seagulls caught up in the relegation battle. The battle for survival looks to be between Crystal Palace, Southampton, Huddersfield, West Ham and Swansea. I would expect the Swans to escape.
Anyway relegation talk can be saved for another post. Last weeks predictions came out reasonably well as I chalked up 6 correct results out of 10. No correct scores last round, but some close calls. Hopefully this week will prove to be better. Im expecting victories for Liverpool and Man City despite their Champions League ding dong, wins for Tottenham,Arsenal and Bournemouth, which will have a knock on effect in the relegation battle. A heavy defeat for Stoke and it’s virtually Premier League over for the Potteries club. A pasting for the Saints wont do them any good as their goal difference takes a pounding. Small hope can be seen as Huddersfield and West Ham both draw.
It looks to be an eventful weekend and who knows I might get a perfect ten…ten of what who knows but preferably not ten incorrect predictions.
- Arsenal 4-0 Southampton Saints in trouble
- Bournemouth 2-1 Crystal P Eagles in South coast gloom
- Brighton 1-1 Huddersfield Seagulls looking safe
- Chelsea 1-1 West Ham Hammers take point
- Everton 0-1 Liverpool Reds take Merseyside win
- Leicester City 2-2 Newcastle Utd Honours even at City
- Man City 2-1 Man Utd City win to take title
- Stoke City 0-5 Tottenham Misery for Stoke
- Watford 2-2 Burnley 4 goal thriller at Watford
- West Brom 0-2 Swansea City Pardew gone but still lose